We Are a Happy Family!





Thursday, February 11, 2010

Labor and Delivery


Today was my second day in the Labor and Delivery unit at American Fork Hospital. I loved it. It is so fun. I am feeling more comfortable already! On day 2!! I saw 2 deliveries today! It was amazing! I still tear up every time I get to witness a delivery. It's such a special moment. The veil is so thin. I was also stoked cause I got to:
1. Hook a mom up to fetal heart tone monitors.
2. Do an initial newborn assessment: take the first set of Heart rate, respirations and temperature ever! While he was still on new and slimey! :)
3. Administer Vitamin K to a new baby
4. Weight and length of the new baby
5. Put in a catheter! (twice :) :) :) :) :) :) So exciting!
6. Blood draw: on a vein I couldn't even see!! But I got it first try!
7. Give a handoff report to the Mother Baby nurse: you'd think I'd be able to do it no problem since I work on Mother/Baby and hear it all the time! It's harder for the other end!

I love Labor and Delivery. It is so great being with families when a new addition arrives. I love nursing. Now the only thing is to try to decide between Labor and Delivery and Pediatrics, since I LOVE them both!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you love it! I could not stand it, (I don't think)! luckily, I'm okay with actually GIVING birth!! :) haha *In fact, I'm actually looking forward to having this baby and my hospital stay....is that weird!?! :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! I remember when i was in Child Development and I got to touch a placenta! I felt as cool as you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...sounds like the best job ever. And you're so sweet and nice. I'm sure all the moms duke it out so they get to have you in their room, handing their new babies. You're in the right place! This job is perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete